1.1 CEMEX Ventures España, S.L.U. (hereinafter referred to as “CEMEX Ventures”) was incorporated in 2016 as the result of the relentless effort of CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. (hereinafter referred to as “CEMEX”) to support projects aiming to develop innovative solutions resulting in disruptive changes in the construction ecosystem and to reaffirm the position of CEMEX’s group as one of the most innovative in the construction industry. For this purpose, CEMEX Ventures was incorporated as the corporate venture capital of CEMEX focused on being the leading-edge of innovation and leveraging CEMEX’s knowledge of the business, technology and platforms to lead the next wave of evolution in the construction industry.
1.2 As proof of CEMEX Ventures’ support in entrepreneurial innovative solutions, CEMEX Ventures launched the first edition of the Construction Startup Competition in 2017. Due to the great success of the four previous editions, CEMEX Ventures is pleased to announce the fifth edition of the Construction Startup Competition for the fifth year in a row. This fifth edition is organized in accordance with these Terms.
2 Competition objectives
2.1 The objective of the Construction Startup Competition 2021 (hereinafter referred to as the “Competition”) is to invite, support and give visibility to global entrepreneurs who are willing to disrupt the construction industry and are interested in accelerating their projects’ development by leveraging CEMEX Ventures’ resources and industry knowledge. The Competition also aims to build and maintain a fluid and close relationship between CEMEX Ventures and the participants so that they keep each other updated on similar events or relevant news of the construction industry.
2.2 The ultimate purpose of the Competition consists in the selection of ten Startups that will present their projects in the Pitch Day event (please see Section 9.1). Those Startups will be selected based on various criteria such as Startups’ growth potential, business model consistency and escalation feasibility (please see Section 10).
3.1 The Competition is open to any startup – meaning any company with a project at an early stage of development (hereinafter a “Startup”) –, submitted by any person of 18 years of age or older at the time of registration in the Competition (see Section 4) or a legal entity (the “Participants”). Participants may submit a Startup individually or as a team. Employees of CEMEX or any Partner (or any company of their groups (as defined in article 42 of Royal Decree of 22 August 1885 approving the Commercial Code)) are not allowed to participate in the Competition. Participants may be required to provide CEMEX Ventures with proof that they meet all eligibility requirements for this Competition.
3.2 There will be no territorial limitation to participate in the Competition.
3.3 To be eligible as a potential Winner (as defined in Section 9), Participants must meet the participation requirements abovementioned (and any other requirement established in these Terms) at the time they are appointed as Winners.
3.4 CEMEX Ventures reserves the right to disqualify any Participant who (i) cheats or otherwise alters the proper development of the Competition, (ii) engages in improper practices to increase profitability, (iii) breaches the applicable law or (iv) does not comply with the Terms.
3.5 Participants may be subject to a due diligence review by CEMEX Ventures at any time to verify compliance with these Terms. Determination of such compliance is at the sole discretion of CEMEX Ventures.
4.1 Participation in the Competition is free and does not entail any obligation of relationship between CEMEX Ventures and the Startup.
4.2 Participants who wish to participate in the Competition must register via CEMEX Ventures’ website (by directly accessing incluir link a la página de la CSC2021 de CEMEX Ventures or by clicking the “Apply” button at the “Competition” event details section on CEMEX Ventures’ website). The registration process consists in:
Incomplete or illegible submissions, or those non-compliance with the Terms, are invalid. CEMEX Ventures has no obligation to inform Participants of any invalid entries. Proof of transmission or electronic delivery will not be deemed to be proof of registration. CEMEX Ventures is not responsible for, and will not assist in, resolving any disputes between team members.
The submission form shall include, among others, the following fields. Participants must complete all fields in English:
2) Last name
4) Startup name
6) Video of the Startup
a. North America
d. Middle East
9) Number of team members
10) Foundation year
About your Startup
11) Short description of the Startup
a. Please describe your product/service in one sentence (max. 140char.)
12) Startup description:
a. Introduce a brief description about your startup (max 400 char.)
13) Which customer need or problem does your startup solve?
a. Describe what is the need or problem that your startup solves (Max. 400 char.)
14) Differentiation: describe what differentiates your startup from others.
a. Describe what differentiates your startup from others (Max. 400 char.)
15) Startup development level: Select the development level of the Startup.
a. Idea to be developed
b. Product prototype
d. Early commercialization
e. Generating revenue; customers using the product/service
16) What is the Startup´s purpose/vision in the short term (1–2-year roadmap)?
a. Product validation
b. Launching of a new version of product
c. Expansion to new markets
d. Gaining traction
17) Which is your target customer profile? (Select only the main one)
c. Main contractor
18) Which is your target project type? (Select all applicable)
i. Commercial & residential
ii. Civil & infrastructure
19) Which of the following topics/verticals represent your solution? (Select one)
a. Sustainability & Smart Cities
i. Carbon Capture, Utilization & Storage
ii. Construction demolition & Waste management
iii. Circular economy
iv. Water conservation & management
v. Energy efficiency
vi. New energy sources
b. Project design & engineering
i. BIM management
ii. Project design
iii. Material specification
iv. Project bidding
c. Project & jobsite management
i. Planning & scheduling
ii. Document management
iii. Productivity, monitoring & control
iv. Communication & collaboration
v. Payments & financial management
vi. Capital management
vii. HSEQ compliance
d. Supply chain management
i. Logistic tools
ii. Fleet management
iii. Resources sourcing
iv. Inventory management
vi. Equipment rental
e. Innovative building materials
i. Construction materials with outstanding performance & footprint
ii. New materials
f. New construction methods
i. 3D Printing
ii. Modular & Offsite construction
20) Where does the Startup fit in the construction value chain?
e. Operations & maintenance
f. Final usage
21) Funding raised to date
a. Amount (in US dollars) raised to date.
22) Relevant investor/s that participated in previous round/s.
23) Type of funding received to date (Select all applicable)
c. Debt or Equity
24) Expected funding for the next financing round
a. Amount (in US dollars) expected to raise in the next round.
25) Expected date for the next financing round.
a. Q4 2021
b. Q1 2022
c. Q2 2022
d. Q3 2022
e. Q4 2022
26) Participation in other programs (acceleration, incubation, etc.)
a. Introduce the name of other programs (not required, max. 400 char.)
a. Introduce the name and the year of awards.
28) Do you want to add more information about your Startup? Add any additional document/file that could help to better explain the Startup. (not required, max. 400 char.)
29) Have you participated previously in CEMEX Ventures Construction Startup Competition?
30) Have you ever worked with any player?
b. CEMEX Ventures
e. Saint Gobain
g. GS Futures
Important for us
31) What do you hope to get from us? Pick between the following options (up to three).
b. Support from our network (industry experts, clients, etc.)
c. Technological support
f. Coworking space
32) How did you hear out about us?
a. Social media
b. Newspaper or specialized magazines
c. Other incubator/Accelerator
d. Direct mail piece
e. I knew CEMEX Ventures before this Competition
1. Startup logo
2. File 1
3. File 2
4. File 3
5 Participants’ obligations
5.1 Each submission must be of Participants’ own creation. By participating in the Competition, Participants certify that they (and/or the Startup) have sufficient ownership of the relevant intellectual property rights and the information provided during the Competition and that they have the right to register the Startups in the Competition.
5.2 Participants declare that they do not submit any Startup (i) including any information that infringes any third-party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations; (2) otherwise violates applicable law; or (3) is subject to any actual or threatened litigation or claim. Participants are responsible for (i) any violations resulting in the unauthorized use of a third party’s intellectual property and (ii) compliance with applicable laws. Specifically, Participants also declare that all codes, information and materials submitted by them during the Competition:
a) belong to them;
b) are not false, inaccurate or misleading;
c) are not in breach of any applicable laws, regulations, licenses, or third-party rights;
d) are not harmful, threatening, defamatory, infringing, harassing or racially or ethnically offensive;
e) do not facilitate illegal activity or depict sexually explicit images;
f) do not promote violence or discrimination based on race, gender, colour, religious belief, sexual orientation and/or disability; and
g) do not cause damage or injury to any person or property.
6.1 Participants will hold CEMEX Ventures and the Partners harmless from any claim based in the breach of these Terms.
7 Intellectual Property Rights
7.1 The sole act of participating in the Competition does not entail the transfer of the ownership of any intellectual property by the Participants to CEMEX Ventures or the Partners.
8 Personal data
9 Competition process
9.1 The Competition will be developed in the following three main process stages:
1) Phase 1 – Application: Participants will have to register their Startups (please see Section 4) within the following period:
a. Opening date: April 14, 2021, at 00:00h (UTC/GMT +1) (the “Opening Date”).
b. Closing date: June 27, 2021, at 23:59h (UTC/GMT-11) (the “Closing Date”).
2) Phase 2 – Screening and Selection: Once Phase 1 is completed, all applicant Startups will be reviewed by CEMEX Ventures’ team and the Partners (please see Section 12) following the selection criteria set out in Section 10 below, with the ultimate objective of selecting the ten (10) most promising Startups (from now on the “Winners”). CEMEX Ventures expects that this Phase 2 will last up to four months from the Closing Date. The Winners will present their projects in the Pitch Day event (Phase 3).
3) Phase 3 – Pitch Day event: The Winners will present their Startups in the Pitch Day event that is expected to be celebrated in Q4 2021. For such purpose, each Winner will appoint one member of its team to present the Startup to a jury composed by certain members of CEMEX Ventures’ team and other relevant people from the construction and venture capital industries including top management people, entrepreneurs, investors, etc.
CEMEX Ventures shall inform the Winners about the venue and the exact date on which the Pitch Day event will be celebrated as soon as possible. Trip and accommodation costs incurred by the presenter of each Winner to attend the Pitch Day Event will be at CEMEX Ventures expenses.
The jury will decide on the most promising Startup(s) at the end of Phase 3 – Pitch Day event.
At the sole discretion of CEMEX Ventures and the Partners, after the Pitch Day Event, the Winners will have the opportunity to connect with CEMEX’s and/or Partners’ network, R&D and marketing team.
9.2 This preliminary schedule of the Phases abovementioned may be amended by CEMEX Ventures at any time. In such case, CEMEX Ventures shall notify the Participants of such amendments as soon as practicable.
9.3 Further information regarding the Competition process can be found at CEMEX Ventures’ website or at the “Competition” event details at CEMEX Ventures’ website.
10 Selection criteria
10.1 In Phase 2 – Screening and Selection, the Startups will be reviewed by CEMEX Ventures and the Partners (please see Section 12). Winners will be selected based on the following criteria: (i) relation to the construction industry, (ii) solution of any of the main pain points suffered by the actors involved in the construction value chain and (iii) focus on at least one of the following four opportunity areas (“Focus Areas”):
1) Efficient jobsite & built environment: Improve productivity, efficiency and the quality of the construction work through a connected & monitored jobsite, as well as optimize the project design and specification process with innovative solutions. Boost labour optimization, develop responsive construction schedules and enhance working capital cycle improvement. Provide the industry with suitable techniques and tools to maximize the construction project’s efficiency and quality.
2) Supply chain management: Help the key actors of the industry to obtain suitable goods and services at the right place and time they need. Drive the construction industry by optimizing resource sourcing, fleet tracking and inventory management.
3) Advanced building materials & new construction methods: Build with the materials and methods of the future. Upgrade the way the industry works with smart materials, innovative construction methods and new technologies that empower cheaper, faster and better performing developments.
4) Carbon footprint mitigation: Build the metropolises and businesses of the future by promoting carbon reduction initiatives, sustainable and energy efficient solutions, smart cities and buildings with the best resource efficiency. Offer solutions based on crowd-powered & resilient cities, new energy sources, circular economy, a suitable asset management and assure a proper demolition and waste management.
10.2 Startups’ growth potential, business model consistency and escalation feasibility are key areas that will be assessed for each Startup throughout the selection process, together with other criteria that the Competition panel of experts may find to be relevant.
11 Construction Startup Competition 2022
12.1 CEMEX Ventures have entered into a collaboration agreement with the following companies that will be involved in the filtering and analysis of the Startups, will actively participate in the Pitch Day Event (e.g. being part of the jury) and will promote the Competition through branding, marketing and communication campaigns (the “Partners”):
· SOCIETE EUROPEENNE DES PRODUITS REFRACTAIRES, a company existing under the laws of France, having its registered address at 18 avenue d’Alsace, Immeuble “Les Miroirs”, 92400 Courbevoie (France), registered at the R.C.S Nanterre under the n° 305 756 413;
· LNRD, a company existing under the laws of France, having its registered address at 12-14 rue Louis Blériot, 92500 Rueil-Malmaison, registered at the Nanterre trade and companies under the number 814 234 142;
· FERROVIAL CORPORACIÓN, S.A., a company existing under the laws of Spain, having its registered address at Calle Príncipe de Vergara, 135, 28002 Madrid, Spain, holder of Tax Identification Number A-85959484; and
· HILTI Corporation, a company existing under the laws of the Principality of Liechtenstein, having its registered address at Feldkircherstrasse 100 – FL 9494 Schaan – Principality of Liechtenstein, holder of Registration number FL-0001.011.557-0.
· GS Futures LLC, a company existing under the laws of Delaware, United States, having its registered address at 126 2nd Avenue, San Mateo, CA, 94401, United States, holder of Tax Identification number 85-0929963.
· Dysruptek LLC, a company existing under the laws of Delaware, United States, having its registered address at 111 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville FL 32202, holder of Registration number 6889833.
13 Authorizations granted by the Participants by accepting these Terms
13.1 By accepting these Terms and the Competition Privacy Notice Participants expressly grant the following authorizations:
(i) Authorization to CEMEX Ventures to share the information provided by the Participants with companies within the same group
By accepting these Terms and the Competition Privacy Notice, Participants authorize CEMEX Ventures to share all the information provided by the Participants during the Competition with any company within its group for the purpose of organising the Competition, complying with internal compliance rules, analysing any potential establishment of business relationships and contacting the Participants for such purpose.
(ii) Authorization to CEMEX Ventures to share the information provided during the Competition with the Partners
By accepting these Terms and the Competition Privacy Notice, Participants authorize CEMEX Ventures to share all the information provided by the Participants during the Competition (in particular, in Phase 1 – Application of the Competition) (including, for the avoidance of doubt, Participants’ personal data (if any)) (the “Startup Information”) with the Partners as long as they are obliged to (i) keep all non-public information secret and confidential and (ii) they use such information only for the development of the Competition, to analyse potential business relationships with Participants (being expressly hereby authorized to directly contact the Participants for this purpose) and as otherwise provided in these Terms.
This authorization is granted so long as: (i) the information to be disclosed is generally and publicly available, (ii) Startups’ and Participants’ intellectual property is always respected and (iii) the purposes of the disclosure are advertising, informative and promotional purposes regarding the Competition or related topics (e.g. top 2021 Construction technology startups) with no right to compensation.
In the event that the information was published on CEMEX Ventures’ or Partners’ websites, Participants shall be entitled to ask them to erase or update any information of their profile contained on the relevant website at any time without cause. CEMEX Ventures and the Partners shall be entitled to erase any information of the Startups or the Participants from their websites or social media networks at any time without cause.
(iv) Authorization to CEMEX Ventures to videotape and record the Pitch Day Event
The Pitch Day Event as well as certain preparatory acts (including Participants’ participation, image and voice) (the “Pitch Day Event Content”) will be videotaped and recorded by CEMEX Ventures for the purposes of (i) live broadcasting the Pitch Day Event and any other preparatory acts on a platform made available by a service provider and (ii) issuing press releases, social media announcements and making any other internal or external communication related to the Pitch Day event, the Competition or related topics (e.g. top 2021 Construction technology startups). CEMEX Ventures may also share such Pitch Day Event Content with the Partners so that they can also promote the Pitch Day event or the Competition by issuing press releases, social media announcements and making any other internal or external communication.
By accepting these Terms and the Competition Privacy Notice, Participants expressly authorize CEMEX Ventures to (i) videotape, audiotape, photograph, record, edit or otherwise reproduce their participation in the Pitch Day Event and any other preparatory acts and (ii) share with the Partners the Pitch Day Event Content, for the purposes established above.
(v) Authorization to the Partners to reproduce the Pitch Day Event Content
By accepting these Terms and the Competition Privacy Notice, Participants authorize the Partners to edit and reproduce the Pitch Day Event Content provided by CEMEX Ventures for the purposes of issuing press releases, social media announcements and making any other internal or external communication related to the Pitch Day event, the Competition or related topics.
13.2 Participants expressly release CEMEX Ventures and the Partners from any claims (i) they may have arisen out of the disclosure of their information to the extent CEMEX Ventures and the Partners have complied with this Section 13 or (ii) filed by a third-party based on the information provided by the relevant Participant.
14 Acceptance of the Terms
14.1 Registration in the Competition implies the acceptance in full of these Terms by the Participants.
15 Amendments and cancellation
15.1 CEMEX Ventures has the right to amend these Terms or cancel the Competition at any time. In such event, CEMEX Ventures shall publish the amendments or cancellation on its website. If, upon notification of the amendment of these Terms, a Participant does not expressly cancel its registration it shall be understood that it accepts the amended version of the Terms.
15.2 Participants are allowed to modify the information submitted or cancel its registration in the Competition by sending an email to Ibon Iribar (email@example.com)
16 Applicable Law and Jurisdiction
16.1 These Terms and any issue arising in relation to the Competition shall be governed by Spanish law. Participants hereto submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the city of Madrid, expressly waiving any other law and venue to which they may be entitled by reason of their present or future domicile or by any other cause.