The winners from this year’s competition pitched their solutions during the Digital Pitchday and five startups have been chosen to move on to a Speed Dating round with industry decision makers and investors.
After reviewing over 700 startups that competed to become the missing piece in the construction industry during 2020 Construction Startup Competition, and selecting 10 winners to participate in the grand finale, five gold medalists have been chosen to move forward to a Speed Dating round.
The biggest startup challenge in the construction sector celebrated its Digital Pitchday on December 2, 2020 during the first day of Builtworlds Venture Conference. The 10 winners pitched their solutions to top management representatives from the competition´s host companies who served as jury during their presentations:
- Gonzalo Galindo, Head of CEMEX Ventures
- Javier Royo, Head of Innovation at Ferrovial Construction
- Alona Shaked, Innovation Manager at Hilti
- Julien Villalongue, Managing Director at VINCI Group´s Leonard
- Minas Apelian, VP, R&D & Global Director of NOVA External Ventures at Saint Gobain
As part of the Digital Pitchday, the startups were able to showcase their businesses and the benefits that it brings to the industry to a very active audience of leaders in the sector. With a limited time to pitch and answer questions, the entrepreneurs demonstrated why they are leading in the Contech startup ecosystem.
After a tough and very close deliberation between the jury, the selected gold medalists are:
- CarbiCrete, Canada: Cleantech company whose breakthrough patented technology enables the production of cement-free, carbon-negative concrete made with industrial by-products and captured carbon dioxide.
- HIBOO, France: SaaS application that processes construction equipment data and makes it easily accessible to empower field operations
- Modulous, United Kingdom: Generative design software and standardized kit of parts to design and deliver healthy, sustainable and affordable homes through a distributed network of local assembly partners
- Okibo, Israel: Autonomous indoor robot for application of construction materials, part of the finishing process, combining a unique 3D perception technology, an automatic path planning and a fully autonomous robotic work flow.
- Voyage Control, United Kingdom: SaaS platform to help construction firms manage their logistics and supply chain more efficiently as well as support their compliance needs
These startups will be invited to participate in Builtworlds first in-person event to be celebrated on 2021, should the global pandemic allow for it. During the event, they will be part of a Speed Dating round where they´ll meet other industry-leading companies, investors, and other relevant stakeholders that can benefit their business and help them grow even further.
Although only 5 gold medalists were selected to participate in a Speed Dating round, all the winners will have the opportunity to further their engagements with decision makers from the construction industry in order to continue building their journey towards success.
This year´s Construction Startup Competition saw a significant increase in participation, quality of the projects and geographies represented, demonstrating that the Contech ecosystem keeps growing and getting more traction in the industry. This made this year´s winners and gold medalists’ selection even tougher for the jury, as many projects show promising futures and developments that will solve the construction industry´s most pressing challenges.
Once again, thanks to all the participants of this year´s competition and we encourage you to keep fostering the construction revolution. Stay tuned to our channels for a more in-depth view of what went on during the Digital Pitchday!